A Fool’s Paradise?
Thanks for responding to our “Fool’s” survey. Some of the results:
– 50% said pranks are NOT encouraged in their workplace
– 47% are planning a joke this year at work
– 52% reported having pulled a prank with positive results;
3% pulled a prank that did not go over well
– 59% have had a prank pulled on them with happy results; 3%
had a joke pulled on them that they were not happy with
– 15% said their boss would not react well regardless of the joke
So you and your team have two choices tomorrow morning: turn April
Fool’s Day into a chance for creative teambuilding OR do something that becomes known in your office as a “career-limiting move.” So on that note:
-Devise a prank you could do as a team against another team.
(Safety in numbers is a beautiful thing).
-Honestly ask yourself how you’d feel if a prank you are contemplating was pulled on you.
-Practice safe humor. I have a file of people that have been
seriously injured or killed by pranks gone horribly awry, so
remember that it’s all fun and games until someone loses an eye
to a rubber chicken.
Here are a few easy, safe things to try:
– Page yourself over the intercom
– Send out a fake meeting agenda with preposterous agenda items
– Phone up someone and immediately say, “I’m too busy to talk
right now” and then hang up.
– Change your boss’s caller ID display so it reads something like
“Cuddly Bear” or “Snuggy Bunny”
– Break into song every time anyone says one of your office’s
Quote of the Week
“Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.” Tom Lehrer
It’s a Wacky, Wacky World
On April 1st 1998, Burger King announced it had created a left-handed
burger. Thousands of people requested the left hander, while
thousands more insisted upon getting a proper right-handed
burger (which, everyone knows, taste much better).
“Just wanted to say “WOW!” Our group has had many speakers over the years, but none the likes of Mike Kerr.”
Richard Dansereau, President, NAPA Autopro BDG
“Michael Kerr is one of the best speakers I have seen. I highly recommend him!”
Veronica D. Bouvier, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Aspen Properties Ltd.
“Mike held the full attention of our senior management team for a full FOUR hour
presentation – no small accomplishment!”
Martine Rothblatt, CEO, United Therapeutics
“Our participants rated you as the speaker with the highest quality and relevance.”
Lana J. Larocque, Alberta Human Resources