Most companies get it wrong when it comes to employee motivation. Rather than worrying about what it takes to motivate employees, they need to STOP demotivating them! Most people, after all, are naturally motivated to do their best at work and contribute their ideas and passion. But far too often, employees lose that natural desire to be engaged because of the soul-sucking, spirit-crushing things leaders and organizations do, such as:
So what can you do? You’re right, probably nothing. (HA! This was a test to draw out the fun suckers! Did it work?) Okay…so there are no shortcuts or magic bullets. But there are a few things you can do:
1. Invest in leadership training so leaders understand the importance of removing “jobstacles” – those things that might prevent employees from doing their best possible work.
2. Invest in coaching training not just so leaders can coach employees, but so that employees can coach their leaders and offer positive feedback up the chain as well.
3. Be intentional about building a rocking great culture – passion, fun and positive energy will beat the energy vampires every time.
4. Create a “sacred cows” committee to challenge assumptions around longstanding rules and procedures.
5. Convene a “Things We Need to Stop Doing Right Now” meeting and have a frank discussion about what’s getting in the way of success.
6. Read Turning Complainers Into Explainers for suggestions on dealing with the fun suckers.
7. Have one-on-one conversations with your leader/employees where everyone answers the question: “What’s preventing you from doing your job in the best way possible?”
Is there something demotivating you that I’ve missed? Drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
“Just wanted to say “WOW!” Our group has had many speakers over the years, but none the likes of Mike Kerr.”
Richard Dansereau, President, NAPA Autopro BDG
“Michael Kerr is one of the best speakers I have seen. I highly recommend him!”
Veronica D. Bouvier, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Aspen Properties Ltd.
“Mike held the full attention of our senior management team for a full FOUR hour
presentation – no small accomplishment!”
Martine Rothblatt, CEO, United Therapeutics
“Our participants rated you as the speaker with the highest quality and relevance.”
Lana J. Larocque, Alberta Human Resources