1. If you can’t go the beach, bring the beach to the office.
(A few plastic flamingos, beach umbrellas, a bucket of sand,
some Hawaiian leis, a couple of beach balls and you’re ready!)
2. Set up a lemonade stand in the hallways or in front of the
office and raise money for your favorite charity.
3. Give everyone a “It’s WAY too Nice to Work” coupon that
lets employees take half a day off on a day when it’s just way
too nice to be indoors. (Some companies do this as a way of
recognizing that if folks are going to play hooky anyways,
doing something like this actually lessens the likelihood of
folks skipping out.)
4. Have a sundae-making party/social/staff meeting, where
different folks or departments contribute a different topping
to the cause (the cause being incredibly decadent ice cream
5. If you can’t get out to the greens, then bring the golf course
to you and create your own indoor mini-putt course.
6. Hold a “Dress in your Tackiest Hawaiian Shirt” day.
7. No vacation for you? Send your colleagues customized postcards
from your own desk/backyard/deck so you don’t feel left out!
8. Take the team on a field trip to the zoo/park/aquarium/
sea world/ice cream shop/Bahamas/amusement park . . .
9. Hold a customized summer Olympics competition, with events
tailored to your unique profession/office.
10. Hold an indoor parade, with teams creating impromptu
And for those of you that can’t get away for a vacation this summer,
just remember these words of wisdom:
“A holiday is something that turns someone who is
tired… into someone who is completely exhausted.”
Copyright Michael Kerr, 2008. www.mikekerr.com firstname.lastname@example.org
“Just wanted to say “WOW!” Our group has had many speakers over the years, but none the likes of Mike Kerr.”
Richard Dansereau, President, NAPA Autopro BDG
“Michael Kerr is one of the best speakers I have seen. I highly recommend him!”
Veronica D. Bouvier, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Aspen Properties Ltd.
“Mike held the full attention of our senior management team for a full FOUR hour
presentation – no small accomplishment!”
Martine Rothblatt, CEO, United Therapeutics
“Our participants rated you as the speaker with the highest quality and relevance.”
Lana J. Larocque, Alberta Human Resources