April 22, is Earth Day. Having just returned from one of the most biodiverse regions on the planet – namely Ecuador, where I spent time in the Amazon jungle, the spectacular Galapagos Islands, and a cloud forest reserve that holds the record for the most number of birds counted on the annual Audubon bird count day, I’m feeling particularly, well, earthy, I suppose (I blame it on the blue-footed boobies). So a few thoughts to ponder…
– What is your workplace doing to minimize your impact on the environment and/or contribute to a healthier planet? Not only is it the right thing to do, we also know from numerous studies that employees want to feel connected to a greater sense of purpose in their work and to work for organizations that place a premium on values such as environmental stewardship.
– Getting involved in charity events is a fantastic way to boost morale and build team camaraderie. Why not look for more opportunities to contribute to organizations that support environmental causes?
– A growing number of Iphone apps and online resources are making it easier than ever for customers to assess the environmental practices of companies and the environmental impact of various products, allowing them to vote with their dollars like never before. How will this impact your company as this trend grows?
– Conversely, some companies reward customers for their eco-friendly practices. For example, the fabulous Opus Hotel in Vancouver, B.C., offers free parking for guests who drive electric cars.
– If you are trying to raise environmental awareness or change behaviors in your workplace, then remember that a little humor can go a long way. As Arlo Guthrie once said, “Just because you’re trying to save the planet it doesn’t mean you can’t have any fun!” (For inspiration, check out these videos that deliver environmental messages in a hilariously funny manner: Top Ten Funny Environmental Videos.)
We’ve got one amazing planet, and ONLY one, that we’re borrowing for a short time. Everything and everyone is interconnected like never before. And since the economy is a subset of the environment (and not the other way around…as some believe) we need to celebrate, appreciate and respect the earth like never before. Happy Earth Day.
Michael Kerr, 2015.
“Just wanted to say “WOW!” Our group has had many speakers over the years, but none the likes of Mike Kerr.”
Richard Dansereau, President, NAPA Autopro BDG
“Michael Kerr is one of the best speakers I have seen. I highly recommend him!”
Veronica D. Bouvier, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Aspen Properties Ltd.
“Mike held the full attention of our senior management team for a full FOUR hour
presentation – no small accomplishment!”
Martine Rothblatt, CEO, United Therapeutics