Zappos.com has a very active library full of fabulous books that employees are encouraged to sign out. Beryl Call Center has a book club where employees are, each month, encouraged to all read the same business book, answer a few questions about the book, and then meet to exchange insights. In fact, I’ve noticed that there are very few successful, inspiring workplaces that DON’T have a library or book club of some sort. Hmmmmmm.
Mike’s Fun at Work Tip
Come up with a few “blooper recovery lines” to have in your back pocket to help you rise above potentially embarrassing situations at work with a bit of humor and grace. If you work in a customer service frontline situation, you might even consider brainstorming a few lines as a team for situations you encounter on a regular basis, much the way a speaker prepares recovery lines for when things go wrong during a talk (not that that ever happens). One of my favorites that a subscriber passed along: “I’m just testing you to see how you deal with awkward moments.”
If you have a favorite blooper recovery line, please pass it along and I’ll share it with the gang.
Quote of the Week
“Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.” Diane Johnson
It’s a Wacky World
How NOT to land that dream job! Here are some wacky interview stories courtesy of surveys by Robert Half International:
– One candidate sent his sister in place because he thought she’d answer the questions better
– One candidate handcuffed himself to the desk to show how committed he was (I’m guessing he was committed)
– One candidate sang all her answers (And no, it wasn’t an audition for American Idol)
– When asked if he had any questions of the interviewers, one person proceeded to tell a knock knock joke.
– One candidate showed up dressed in a cat suit, another in their pajamas
– One candidate for a customer service job warned his potential employer that the one thing he might not enjoy about the job was “dealing with people!”
Copyright Michael Kerr, 2011 www.humoratwork.com
“Just wanted to say “WOW!” Our group has had many speakers over the years, but none the likes of Mike Kerr.”
Richard Dansereau, President, NAPA Autopro BDG
“Michael Kerr is one of the best speakers I have seen. I highly recommend him!”
Veronica D. Bouvier, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Aspen Properties Ltd.
“Mike held the full attention of our senior management team for a full FOUR hour
presentation – no small accomplishment!”
Martine Rothblatt, CEO, United Therapeutics